Saturday, October 12, 2024

Fear of the Badge: Shame, a Fearful Mayor, and Censorship In Aurora (with edit)


Wow....this song got 4  hits the moment it was rendered; must be a hot-button topic.  

It would seem to be that City leadership is experiencing shame due to the senseless murder of a young black man.  



Today, I am grateful for the beauty of truth.

I'm not quite sure how to handle it just yet.


Picture this: me, educating a police officer on the history of gangs in Aurora. Back in the summer of 1993, we had a bit of a gang situation going on. I was living on the Denver-Aurora border at the time, fully immersed in my life as a music student. My apartment was practically a shrine to my beloved bass - I ate, slept, and breathed music.


Ah, the memories of those good times...except for the fact that gangs were causing chaos, with cars and kids getting shot at left and right. Aurora had to beef up its police force to combat the issue. 


So, when I hear Donald Trump going on about gangs in Aurora, my mind immediately goes back to that tumultuous summer. It seems like the real problem now is a lack of effective policing and troublemakers running amok without consequences.


And then, I learned today that the Aurora police are struggling to recruit officers due to a breakdown in community trust. No wonder they're not always quick to respond to calls, if they respond at all.


It seems to me that maybe Mike Coffman and his crew should rethink some of their policies that stifle free speech. I had a chat with a city councilwoman about how they used to handle public comments back in the day - they actually asked for names and addresses! People who did NOT live in Aurora were not allowed to speak. An idea could be, when people want to address the council over the phone,  perhaps you can take their name, address, and phone number and call them back when it's their turn to speak. It may be wise to send someone to check on them if they threaten a council member or another party.* People tend to be more polite when they know we can identify them.


Because let's face it, if people aren't given a platform to speak, they'll find other ways to make themselves heard. And trust me, things could get messy if they have to get creative.


Sending hugs and sass,


S.


*Edit: When I say threat, I'm talking about stuff like "I'll kill you" or "I'll shoot you" or "I'll maim you" - not "I'll write a song about you and post it online" or "I'll give you a mean look" or "I'll audit you if you try to start a garage band in Aurora" (which is pretty ridiculous because I think code enforcement would be the bigger issue there). I have to clarify this because what politicians are labeling as threats and hate speech really aren't. I've actually had a librarian and a teacher threaten to kill me - like, seriously. The librarian didn't like my idea of creating a special district for library funds instead of using the general fund (which basically steals their money). And the science teacher got mad because I called the USA a republic instead of a democracy (I mean, he's a science teacher - he can teach me not to blow up the house, but I get why he doesn't teach Social Science). Most people were like pufferfish - annoying but harmless. Security cameras are definitely a good idea.

I probably should have warned my city council person that the police don't take action even if you've been hurt by the perpetrators.  Our first priority has to be for our own safety and well-being.  

This is why I'm pro 2A but that's another story for another day. 


Lyrics 

[Verse]

Shadows creeping lights ain't bright

Phones in hand but not tonight

Sirens blare in sleepless streets

Justice lost in dark retreats


[Verse 2]

Uniforms they carry weight

Trust eroded by the hate

Hands held high but hearts sunk low

Living in the fear we know


[Chorus]

Who do we call when the danger's near

Blue and red lights they spark the fear

Do we stay silent let screams go unheard

Trust in the badge's just absurd


[Verse 3]

Names forgotten in the fray

Lives cut short in light of day

Tears they fall like heavy rain

City drowning in its pain


[Bridge]

Eyes wide open truth in sight

Yet our voices silenced tight

Broken systems hard to mend

Wonder when this hate will end


[Chorus]

Who do we call when the danger's near

Blue and red lights they spark the fear

Do we stay silent let screams go unheard

Trust in the badge's just absurd



Ode to a Homeless Vet: Lost and Forgotten

  [Verse] Wandering streets with no place to call home Faded camo a ghost of where I've roamed Dog tags clang in rhythm like a sorrowful...