Thursday, June 1, 2017

Turned Down a Job

Today I am thankful for gut instincts.


I had an interview on Tuesday.  This was the interview that caused me not to want to tote the kids around for their father.

I was given a battery of tests.  I thought I failed them because I couldn't complete them.  The HR rep said I passed with flying colors. 

The job offer came in at $13.00 an hour.

I previously made $39,000 doing the same job.

The starting wage is the same for everyone, I was told.  It would be $13.00 an hour with a $1.50 raise in three weeks. 

They said they'd love me to work the weekends.  Those are the days Michael is supposed to have the kids.  I love working the weekends because I can see hypnosis clients during the week. 

My ex won't be able to take the kids because of his living situation and lack of money.  I'm not sure I should leave them home alone for so long.

Michael claimed that he made $12 an hour before he was fired (down from a $50,000 a year job).  He also claimed that it was impossible for him to live on this money even with a subsidized room and no car payment.  When he made that salary, I was paying for his auto insurance.  He was a given my mini-van.

If he couldn't make it on $12 an hour, I must be deluding myself thinking I can make it on $13.

I realized that I probably couldn't support a household on that amount of money.  I also realized that I owed it to my ex to make a decent wage so he didn't have to scramble to pay his court ordered child support.

I TURNED DOWN the job.

That was tough for me because I adore this company and I am probably one of their happiest clients.  The interview process only made me like them more. 

I hope I didn't do something stupid. 

My salary would have been $10 more a week than unemployment.  I guess, right now, I need to support my family rather than work for pleasure.

I decided to keep pushing forward on the job search.  This time, I won't believe the compensation that they post in the ads.  The ad stated that the wage for this job began at $16. 

I guess not. 

Everyone is looking for a bargain.

The problem is that we get what we pay for.

Love ya lots,

S.


Place for Documentation

  When I was a kid, I wanted to be a pilot.  My stepdad would talk about flying into Germany during World War II.  I'd spend my weekends...