Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Documentation & Prayers for London

Today I am thankful that activists can post their concerns to the internet:
I only wish that people would pay attention before lives were lost.

There is a frightening looking fire in London right now.  I had to turn off Facebook as the live feed seemed to show people leaping from the flames.

I grew up in a family of firefighters.  My dad and my uncle were firemen.  This brings back a lot of familiar smells and stories.....frightening stories of the people my dad couldn't save.  People who were memorialized for years at the family dinner table.

I fear how many people lost their lives on this day.

Here are two stories that will probably be updated as the day wears on.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/14/grenfell-tower-major-fire-london-apartment-block-white-city-latimer-road

Another story about the fire at Grenfall Tower:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40269625


This is a tragedy. What makes it even worse is that local activists predicted this seven months ago.

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/amp/

I wish people in power paid attention. 

How many people died needlessly on this day?  How many sustained life altering injuries?  There were 120 units on 24 stories.  The lucky ones will only lose their possessions.

I can't imagine how anyone was able to save their belongings.

I'll light a 7 day candle for the people of London.  May they find comfort. 

May the people in charge LISTEN to the activists. 

Love ya,

S. 


Place for Documentation

  When I was a kid, I wanted to be a pilot.  My stepdad would talk about flying into Germany during World War II.  I'd spend my weekends...