Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Birthday Week Blues and Good News




Today I am thankful that I will soon start another trip around the sun. 


The young people at work won't let me forget about it.

Sigh-

Yeah - laugh it up.  My mother always said that I was born on Labor Day.

Then she'd always say I was born on a Sunday.

Mom had a bizarre sense of humor -or- the discrepancy could have been due to her alcoholism.

She once told me that Merle Haggard was my dad.  Then I was told that my dad was black.

Young Siegfred was so darn confused, she decided to play bass in a country band at one point in her life.  When I wasn't the bass player, that band went on to open for George Jones. I cheered them on from the front row.

Seriously though, looking back on my life I realize I was subconsciously trying to understand black culture.  I had an African American Ph.d point out that I bought a home in a black community, fought against the bussing of black students, played saxophone and bass and typically listened to old school R&B while consistently dyeing my red curly hair black -

she thought I was trying to figure out where I came from.

I don't know.

I'm not black.  I met my dad's family.  He was a cracker from Kansas*.

I'm glad he didn't raise me.

*****

Sigh -

What I like to do on my birthday is visit homeless folks. Sometimes I'll buy a couple of sandwiches and lemonade and share my lunch with a stranger.

I probably won't do that due to the Covid hysteria and the holiday.

The homeless ranks are growing.  Denver is still pushing the homeless out and acting like Republicans by stealing their stuff while begging for a 25% income tax to build a shelter for the homeless.

The problem with shelters is the rules.  Families are typically split up.  Pets have no where to go.

There is a lot of violence.

That's a short term solution.

If Denver really wanted to solve homelessness, they'd look into their housing code and gut those rules that increase the cost of housing and forbid tiny homes.

Neither Democrats and Republicans will do that.  They like their power.

The prioritize their vision of perfectly manicured lawns over the freedom to live to the best of one's ability.

*****
So -

I fainted at work last week.  This led me to go to the doctor.

My doctor thinks I was dehydrated but, to tell the truth, you can't drink water when you're mandated to wear a mask at all times at work.  I'm sure my asthma didn't help, either.

I got some good news.

The tumor in my liver is benign.  I need to have an ultrasound in a couple of weeks.  At least I'm not dying!

Woo Hoo!

I knew I was far too obnoxious to die anytime soon!!!

Now, I need to schedule a surgery for something else.

Getting older sucks.

****
More good news....

The State of Colorado has changed the rules for addiction counselor licensure.

Previously, I could only go as far as a CAC III because my master's degree was so old, it didn't have a practicum.  I could still do all the things a counselor could do but I couldn't get the same amount of money or prestige.

Now, due to the rule changes, I can get my LAC if I do a practicum now.  I was already offered an opportunity to do a practicum in a school.  I love teaching.  Eleven years ago,  I was offered a job teaching master's level courses at a Denver university but I turned that down due to the stalking.

That'll be fun.

I can't wait!!

I just put in my application for licensure candidacy.  Then I have to take a test and finish my practicum.  Maybe I can finally earn more than $15 per hour doing what I love!

Isn't synchronicity amazing?

It's fun what you can do when the negativity leaves your life.

*****

When my ex lived here, I couldn't grow a plant to save my life. 

Now, my house looks like a jungle. 

Things are improving. 

*****

I'm not sure I have any wit or wisdom to share today.

If I do, I'll come back here.

Just now that negativity drags us down way too far, even if the negativity belongs to someone else.

It's amazing what can happen for us once we cut the chains.

May you fly free,

S.

* Oh crap -

Maybe I'm doing the subconscious trying to figure myself out again?

For the past three weeks, I've given thought to selling my home and moving to a small town in Kansas.  The company I work for is headquartered there.  I could pay cash for a very nice home (if I move before the housing market crashes).

The riots in my town are starting to scare the hell out of me.  The police are too busy trying to hide their corruption to take care of it.  I really don't want to keep going to the city building in my druid cloak to do my thing to stop the violence. 

I'm too afraid to pray for justice because I'm pretty sure that the cops are guilty.  Praying for justice would not yield a result anyone would like (cops would probably die....so).

I'm at a loss.

The worst part is that we can't attend study sessions or council meetings in person.  I still get the weekly updates that I got when I ran for the highest office in the city but it's not the same as looking at your lawmaker's body language.  It's hard to tell what one is truly up to when one can't read his or her energy.

As far as Kansas, I'm sure my ex won't let me move for another two years.  By then, I'm sure my property will be worthless. 

The housing market will possibly tank in the next four months or so given Polis' lockdown.




It Happened Again

  Today I am thankful for chatty and helpful colleagues.  My daughters are home from college for summer break, and as usual, their father to...