Skip to main content

Adopted By A Cat



Today I am thankful for the joyful sound of a purring cat.

Over the past few days, I've noticed a small gray tabby cat hanging out on my windowsill peering into the house.

It's very small.....almost a kitten.

I think it likes me because I drink Japanese catnip to help me relax.  Yes, I have to order it from Japan.  Shhh......let me tell you a secret.  It's the primary ingredient in an expensive supplement (sero-vital) and I'm too cheap to pay $99 a month to get a supply of catnip and amino acids.

Now, as Pagans, we believe that visits from cats are signs from the Goddess....be it Bast (daughter of Diana)....or Isis.  They should be honored guests.

Cats (as well as other animals) are to be respected and revered.  A good Pagan does rituals with fish for Isis and puts it at the crossroads to feed her sacred cats.

The problem, though, is that I don't trust that the fish we buy at the store won't kill the cats.  I haven't been very good with the rituals of late.

We let the cat stay in the house because we have raccoons that frequent our block.  It can't hang out in the garage because there might be anti-freeze on the floor.

It's here....purring.  I want to replace the carpet and the furniture so it won't be a loss if it sharpens its claws.

I am thankful it still has its claws.

*******

Yes, I am allergic to cats.

No, I cannot breathe well.  I'm popping allergy meds like candy.

I'm itchy as heck but it could be that I mowed the lawn and pulled the weeds earlier today.

I don't want to blame the cat

******

The cat doesn't have tags (which is a violation of city code that was enacted in 1994).

I asked the neighbors if the cat had a home.  I was told it belongs to the gun toting neighbor who lets his dogs cry outside 24/7.

I tried to ask the gun-toting neighbor if he owned the cat and he just drove off.  His houseguest said it was his cat.

I don't know what to do.

*****
My 18 year old has a boyfriend.  They've known each other since the first grade.  They've dated off and on since ninth grade.

He's been visiting a lot because he's home from college for the summer.  He and my daughter will sit outside and talk for hours on end.

He is an animal lover who has an affinity for cats.

He witnessed our gun-toting neighbor kick the cat.  The young man was fuming and wanted to take the cat home.

We picked up the cat and took him inside.  I posted a lost notice online and was informed that there was a coyote roaming the neighborhood.  I've never seen a coyote.  I've seen four raccoons that hang out together and a beautiful fox.  I've not yet seen the coyote.

At that moment, I decided not to let the cat stay outside any longer.  It's not safe.

The cat is staying with us tonight.

The kids want to keep the cat.

They have named it Adonis. 

I'm not even sure the animal is a "he."  So we may wind up with a Persephone IF we don't find its owner and IF we can keep it.

******
A word to the wise......

It's a bad idea to let your cat roam at large in the city.  There are too many dangers that face pets; cars, coyotes, abusive humans.....to name a few.

This poor cat doesn't even have tags.  We don't know if it has had its shots or is registered to anyone.

I don't trust the local animal control not to kill it.  In talking to the woman who took over the shelter a few years ago, it seems like she cares more than the previous manager.  I bet she'd do her best to find a home for the kitten or a shelter to take it in (which is refreshing, actually).

As much as I respect the intelligence of this woman, there is just something I don't quite trust.  I can't put my finger on it.  I should listen to my intuition.

Maybe it's not her I can't trust.....maybe it's something organizational that doesn't sit right.

I need to follow my instincts here.

If we can't get an answer from the creepy neighbor, we'll take it to a vet tomorrow to see if (s)he is micro-chipped.

Please.....take care of your animals....don't let your cats roam at large in a city, especially if you live within two miles of TWO reservoirs/nature reserves.

There are predators out there - both human and otherwise.

Love ya lots,


S.

Popular posts from this blog

Stalker Proxy Phone Calls

What kind of songs do narcissistic stalkers sing?  I imagine they sing songs like this.   I am grateful now that I understand why the stalker has people call  but   wish they'd listen when I ask them not to call again.  I probably should document this somewhere.  My ex was talking to an old friend of mine from high school on a daily basis.  She is his cousin.   I had to quit talking to her when she'd ask me to plan parties and then refuse to give me the guest list saying that the attendees would only be me, her, my stalker Shannon, and my NPD mother-in-law.   She wanted me to plan interventions.   This happened with a baby shower.  It also happened with a wedding.  The in-laws put together a fake wedding trying to host an intervention to shame me and my ex into doing things for them (like quit school and give them my car).   I had to cut this so-called friend off over that in 2004....

Recognizing Psychological Abuse

Today I am thankful that I recognize relationship abuse.   I'm still sad. I thought Steve would be different.  For all the talk about anarchy and freedom, it simply didn't exist in our relationship.  I blamed the fact that I couldn't get my ex-husband to move on.  I blamed myself. It doesn't matter.  It is weird having my ex-husband explain to me how he took control of our relationship years ago.  Yes, he says that he knows what he did.  Yes, he said most men know the games they play.  Yes, most men do it for control. That is validating.  It's painful.  It's validating.  I know what my problems are.  I always do my best to see the best in other people.  I know that no one is perfect and that everyone makes mistakes.  My issue?  Well, I am too forgiving and I feel badly when I break up with someone for hurting me.  I couldn't take it anymore.  I couldn't.  I'm st...

Covid (Edited)

Today I am thankful for unorganized conspiracies: It makes it easier to identify them. Politicians are going to label anyone calling bullshit on the Covid lockdowns a Conspiracy Theorist.   I have a saying; " Conspiracies happen all the time; it's only a theory until it's proven."  This one is easy to prove.  It's obvious that the powers that be threw a lot of shit at a wall to see what would stick.  They're trying to inundate us with useless information and financial pressure to wear us down. That doesn't work on the indominable American spirit. ***** Let's work backwards. The CDC is now lumping flu, pneumonia and Covid19 deaths in one number.  Get this....the numbers have been declining for the past 11 weeks! https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html We are now below pandemic levels. Tell me why Governor Polis and his merry band of naked Democrat Emperors are pushing masks and pushing more lo...